James and Lula Mummey purchased the property that holds what is now known as the Lakeside Boating and Camping Association, Inc in 1938. Sand was first pumped out of the ground near what is now known as Lot 65.
The first batch of sand was hauled to Salina, KS to construct the runways for the Smokey Hill Army Air Corps Base. Later, sand from the northwest corner of the lake was pumped during the Korean Conflict to reinforce runways to handle the heavier B-47 Stratojets.
In 1957, James Mummey's son Bob completed his service with the Army, and soon married his sweetheart Ann in January 1958. In 1959, James passed away, leaving the property to his son Bob. Bob and Ann opened the sand pit to recreational activities, and in 1961, formed the Nickerson Boat Club which had a maximum of 20 members.
The Nickerson Boat Club remained in effect until 1994 when the property was leased to local exotic animal farm owner Joe Hedricks, who called the lake Capabera Lake. In 2006 Bob and Ann took the property back over.
Today the campground covers an area of 45 acres, with 28 acres being water. The assocation has a shower house, dump station, individual electrical services, and boat ramp available to its 69 total members. The lake is stocked with 16 species of fish, mostly bass. Monthly potluck dinners are held at the lake as well as regular trap shoots and a large 4th of July fireworks extravaganza.